Achieving the happy ending of a game is always a rewarding feeling, is not it? The purpose of this tutorial will teach you to get the happy ending of Undertale. Note that the term "happy ending" is how the game itself calls this end, which is one of the possible end of the game. The real name of this end is True Pacifist Route.
- The version 1.08 was the one I used as a basis for crafting this tutorial. If you are reading this at a later date, it may be that some tips are not valid, so stay tuned.
- DO NOT read this tutorial if you have not finished the game at least once. Undertale is a fantastic game to be played, especially without expectations.
- I'll do a step-by-step how to get the True Pacifist Route, this should be understood without I need to inform, but anyway... THIS TUTORIAL CONTAINS SPOILERS! Just to be clear: I will not talk about the happy ending itself, but the purpose of this tutorial it is to explain step-by-step how to achieve it, and this involves talking game events, you understand?
All ready? So fill your heart with determination and let's start working!
In this tutorial I will show two ways to get the happy ending: Using a save state generated by me and how you can do step-by-step. For being much faster, first I'll present my save and soon after, the tutorial on how you can get the happy ending, okay?
Bruno Saved File
One day before creating this tutorial, I decided to consult the Undertale Wikia and redo the whole game, just to make sure everything was right. Well, the first step is to close the game if it is open, then we need to open the saved games folder. To do this, press the key with the Windows logo + R and paste the command below.
The screen should look like the example below:
Click in the Ok button. The save folder of the game should be open, as in the example shown in the image below:
Note that the folder exists only if you have already run the game in the past and made at least one save. If the folder is missing, it is a sign that you have not done any game save on the computer that you are now. If this happened, go to the game and save whenever possible, then run the command again.
Now it's time to download the save file, for this, click on this link, or this one. After performing the download, with the assistance of a program to extract files, such as WinRAR or 7-Zip, you must extract the files into the folder that you opened in the previous step.
- My save will replace all of your progress, so it's a good idea to make a backup of your files before continuing.
- Delete all files present in this folder before extracting my save, giving special emphasis to the files system_information_962 and/or system_information_963, which are data associated with genocide route. I say this because if you have one of these files, you can not be able to complete the game by the True Pacifist Route, but you will have a different ending, called Soulless Pacifist.
Run the game. If everything was done right, you should see the game with the same information present as in the example below:
When you continue my save just go to the next room that will start the final battle of the True Pacifist Route.
Now let's step-by-step how to get the complete game in the True Pacifist Route (or simply "happy ending").
Before we begin, I would like to leave a note: In good portion of games, there are several ways to achieve the same result. As I like to speak in other tutorials on this site, I'm not saying that the way that I will describe below is unique ... I'm just saying that the method below was tested more than once and it worked perfectly.
To achieve the happy ending, throughout the game, never kill any enemies or gain any EXP/LV; essentially, only use non-lethal battle exits (spare, flee, or battle-ending ACTs). If you accidentally kill a monster, you need to load the previous save where no monster was killed.
If you by chance gained some point EXP/LV and saved the game, you need to do a reset. If you want, see the previous section of this tutorial and delete all files from your saves folder, after creating a backup.
If you have completed the genocidal route before, you will not be able to complete the game for the True Pacifist Route, but you will get a different ending, called Soulless Pacifist. If you want, see the previous section of this tutorial and delete all files from your saves folder, after creating a backup.
The list of requirements are as follows:
- As previously said, throughout the game, never kill any enemies or gain any EXP/LV; essentially, only use non-lethal battle exits (spare, flee, or battle-ending ACTs). Strike a blow in a monster and then leave the battle in a nonlethal form or destroy the training dummy at the beginning of the game does not ruin this route, as these actions do not generate EXP/LV.
- After battling Papyrus, go back to his house which is at the end of Snowdin Town and complete the date with him, as you can see in this image.
- After Undyne faint during the pursuit the protagonist, take a cup of water at the water cooler that is conveniently located next to her, and pour it on her, as you can see in this image.
- Go back to Waterfall. In the left "block" from Napstablook house will be Undyne Home. Papyrus will be waiting for you. Enter Undyne Home, complete the lesson of cooking and make-believe battle. This will make her home burn and it will move together with Papyrus in Snowdin Town.
- Go through Hotland and the CORE. Get the ratings for Mettaton EX up to 10,000. Do not be afraid to use the phone that Alphys improved for you, or shoot in Mettaton heart, because this is part of the fight and will complete the battle peacefully.
- Complete the game. For this go to the end, make the battle against Asgore and then against Omega Flowey. In both battles you will need to fight, but at the very end you will have the chance to have mercy for both characters, which should be done. If you save Flowey repeatedly after the final battle, he will give you a direct hint on how to get the "happy ending". If you followed this tutorial correctly so far, he will tell you that you need to load your game and make friends with Dr. Alphys.
- After loading the game back to the MTT Resort (Metatton's hotel), when you are on the bridge that connects the resort to the CORE, Undyne will call you, asking you to deliver a letter for her.
- Go back to front of Papyrus house in Snowdin Town and talk to Undyne, she will give you a letter and will ask you to take it to Alphys. Note that you must have a free space in the inventory to get the letter.
- Go to the Alphys lab and put the letter under the front door. She will believe it was you who sent the letter and will have a "date" with you. Complete the date to become friends with her.
- Upon leaving the Garbage Dump (where the date ends), Papyrus will call and tell the protagonist to meet Alphys at her lab. Return to Alphys's Lab to find a note leading to her "bathroom" containing the True Lab. Upon entering the True Lab, the True Pacifist Route can not be aborted.
- Find the four keys scattered throughout the True Lab and put them in their proper slots to open the generator room. Turn on the generator to trigger a conversation with Alphys. I suggest that you read very carefully all terminals, see all the VHS tapes and pay close attention to the dialogues, because much game lore is explained here! When you leave the secret lab, you will be in New Home, with the elevator exit vined off. This signals that the True Pacifist Ending will occur.
I hope you enjoyed! If you have any questions please contact using the top menu option! If you liked this tutorial, remember to share with your friends!